How to perform a full service of your MVHR / HRV system
Your heat recovery system can help make your house a clean and healthy living environment. Your system requires regular servicing (normally every 12 months) and this only takes eight simple steps:
1. Turn off the system – turn off and unplug the unit.
2. Clean or replace the air filters – Dirty or clogged filters can lower the system’s efficiency. Try to clean your filters at least every few months. To do this you simply remove the filter and clean gently with a vacuum cleaner. Alternatively buy new replacement filters from FilterMate. Make sure you buy the correct ones for your unit - you may want to check the measurements to be sure. You should replace your filters at least every 12 months. Filters being used in urban areas will need more regular changing, often every 3 to 6 months.
3. Check outdoor intake – If you can, remove leaves, waste, or other obstructions that may be blocking the outside vents of your system. Without this airflow, your MVHR / HRV won’t function properly.
4. Inspect the condensate drain – Check the owner’s manual to see if your system has a condensate drain. It is a pipe or plastic tube coming out of the bottom of the unit. If it does, slowly pour about two litres of warm clean water in each drain pan inside the unit to make sure it is flowing properly, if not just simply clean the drain.
5. Clean the heat exchange – Check your manual for instructions on cleaning the heat exchange core. Vacuuming the core and washing it with soap and water will help reduce dust that can build up inside.
6. Clean grilles and inspect the ductwork – Once a year you should check the ductwork leading to and from your system. Remove and inspect the grilles covering the duct ends and vacuum inside the ducts.
7. Service the fans – Remove the dirt that has accumulated on the fan blades by gently hoovering or brushing them.
8. Turn on the system – plug the unit in and turn it on.
Your MVHR / HRV system must be serviced annually. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself contact a certified service technician.